[GRASS-user] Which NASA Blue Marble datasets should I used to create a DEM with texture mapping?

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at mac.com
Sun Oct 12 02:38:42 EDT 2008

Hi,
        I have a very basic question. I want to create a DEM of a
particular region. The DEM is a height field representation, in a
raster image format. I can directly generate elevation data using this
information. Looking at the NASA Blue Marble dataset, you have a
topographic file that represents the topographic data.

Now, after I use the topographic data to reconstruct the 3D surface, I
need to texture map the 3D terrain with image data. For this I guess I
could use the normal NASA Blue Marble images without topograhic or
bathymetric data.

Question 01: What is the use of the NASA Blue Marble images with both
topographic and bathymetric data? Is it useful for creating a DEM with
textured data?

Question 02: How does NASA's SRTM v2.0 data fit into all this? SRTM if
I understand correctly is DEM data. Is SRTM and the NASA Blue Marble
data set connected in some way?

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson