[GRASS-user] How to import NASA SRTM DEM data into VTK

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at mac.com
Sun Oct 12 04:59:53 EDT 2008

Hi,
         How can I import NASA SRTM DEM data, stored in a file format
called hgt, into VTK-5.3.x?

Apparently the *hgt file format can just be renamed to *.dem, but the
contents of the file are stored in a format called GTOPO30 DEM, I think.

When I opened the SainteHelens.dem file supplied with the VTK Data
package, I can see that it consists of ascii values and is human-
readable.

However, when I look at a NASA SRTM file, it appears to be some sort
of binary file format.

Here is an example of a NASA SRTM file ftp://e0srp01u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/version2/SRTM3/Australia/S34E150.hgt.zip

vtkDEMReader will not directly work with the NASA SRTM file.

Has someone implemented a reader that will read in the NASA SRTM file?

If someone can help point me in the right direction, I can even spend
some time and try to implement a new vtkSRTMReader class.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson