[GRASS-user] delete features with v.edit

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Oct 14 10:50:17 EDT 2008

[Please keep threads on the list]

On 14/10/08 16:21, christian Brandt wrote:
> Dear Moritz,
>
> thanks for your e-mail.
>
> Choosing the delete option still shows me the boundary of the deleted feature within the map display.
>
> That's the statement I was using:
> v.edit map=geb_emiss_KP at PERMANENT type=point,line,boundary,centroid tool=delete where=ID='Geb059811' snap=no
>
> Is this just a display error? (using v.info doesn't give any more attribute data for this object)

No, assuming that you are trying to delete a polygon I guess what
happens is that it deletes the centroid (to which the attribute is
attached, i.e. which carries the category for this attribute), but not
the boundaries of the polygon as they have no attributes attached to them.

I guess that v.edit should have an 'area' type as well (cc'ing to -dev
list for that), so that it deletes both the centroid and the boundary
when that type is selected... Maybe you could file a wish on the GRASS
bug tracker.

For now, you could probably use v.extract with the -r flag, i.e.:

v.extract -r in=geb_emiss_KP at PERMANENT out=NewMapName where="ID='Geb059811'"

(also note the quoted where clause...normally safer).

Moritz