[GRASS-user] generalize a map of points

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 12:14:52 EDT 2008

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> On Friday 17 October 2008, Markus Neteler wrote:
>> You need v.label.sa:
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/branches/develbranch_6/vector/v.l
>> abel.sa
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/branches/develbranch_6/vector/v.l
>> abel.sa/description.html
>>
>> For whatever reason it is not enabled in GRASS 6.4.svn !?
>
> Any ideas on why?

I seem to vaguely remember that the plan was to replace v.label by
v.label.sa, but Hamish wanted to add some functionality to v.label.sa that
was missing before replacing it totally. So I guess the idea was not to
let it become known by the v.label.sa name if it was imminently going to
be renamed to v.label. Apologies to those concerned (Wolf and Hamish) if I
have mis-remembered.

> Wasn't this a Google SOC project that was completed?

No - it was written by Wolf.

>> In future, I hope that someone integrates the new:
>> PAL - cartographic label placement library
>> http://geosysin.iict.ch/trac/wiki/Index4extJPAL
>>
>> which has been recently integrated into gvSIG. The developers are
>> interested to get it integrated into GRASS, too.

Looks very nice, although v.label.sa sounded pretty advanced too from
Wolf's descriptions to the list. Do you know what advantages PAL has? At
least the C++ is a disadvantage I suppose. Have the PAL developers tested
v.label.sa?

Paul