[GRASS-user] generalize a map of points

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Fri Oct 17 16:19:10 EDT 2008

On 17.10.2008 19:14, Paul Kelly wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
>

>>> abel.sa/description.html
>>>
>>> For whatever reason it is not enabled in GRASS 6.4.svn !?
>>
>> Any ideas on why?
>
> I seem to vaguely remember that the plan was to replace v.label by
> v.label.sa, but Hamish wanted to add some functionality to v.label.sa
> that was missing before replacing it totally. So I guess the idea was
> not to let it become known by the v.label.sa name if it was imminently
> going to be renamed to v.label. Apologies to those concerned (Wolf and
> Hamish) if I have mis-remembered.

I'm still waiting for Hamish to check a patch for d.labels to allows
precision placement that v.label.sa. So far he has been to busy to check
it. *shrug* Also v.label.sa still needs area label placement support,
but that might have to wait for spring, when I start working on my
Bachelor. Also Hamish wanted to integrate v.label.sa to v.label, but
IMHO they are maybe too much different in philosophy to merge...

>> Wasn't this a Google SOC project that was completed?
>
> No - it was written by Wolf.

Correct. And I hope to uses it as my bachelor (adding the area positioning).

>>> In future, I hope that someone integrates the new:
>>> PAL - cartographic label placement library
>>> http://geosysin.iict.ch/trac/wiki/Index4extJPAL
>>>
>>> which has been recently integrated into gvSIG. The developers are
>>> interested to get it integrated into GRASS, too.
>
> Looks very nice, although v.label.sa sounded pretty advanced too from
> Wolf's descriptions to the list. Do you know what advantages PAL has? At
> least the C++ is a disadvantage I suppose. Have the PAL developers
> tested v.label.sa?

Hmm interesting. I would be interested in doing that, if that is what we
want. I'll study the paper and will comment later on the differences.

--Wolf

--

<:3 )---- Wolf Bergenheim ----( 8:>