[GRASS-user] Help: Converting a raster map between locations (from wgs84 lat / long to UTM)

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 13:24:31 EDT 2008

It's because your region in the target location is wrong.

Here is a little trick:

In your lat/lon location, after you set your region, run the command
v.in.region (check correct syntax). This will create a bounding box of
the region.

Then, go to your target location (UTM) and use the command v.proj to
import the vector you just created.

Now, set your region to the imported vector with g.region
vect=name_of_vector_here

Finally, run r.proj!!

The only problem at which I don't know any exact method is setting the
target resolution correctly... I know it's done with g.region res=XX
but, the conversion from lat/long to meters is not a straight one...

Cheers
Daniel