[GRASS-user] Patching large numbers of vectors

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Oct 24 16:35:17 EDT 2008

Richard,

without error messages it's hard to understand...
Could you run it in command line? Then you may be able to
copy the error.

Alternative: tell us how to replicate it in the Spearfish or North
Carolina sample data set...

Markus

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Richard Chirgwin
<rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There seems to be a problem in handling of large numbers of vectors.
>
> I had a large number of buffered points to put together. The buffer
> areas (with centroids added) were constrained by non-overlapping areas
> to avoid errors later, after which I wanted to patch them together into
> a single file. I used:
>
> for i in `g.mlist vect pattern="Centroids*"`; do
> v.patch -a -e input=$i output=patchfile --overwrite;
> done
>
> to do this.
>
> For most vectors, everything works fine, but every now and again, the
> patching process would report a problem (something like "error bug sidx
> topo", it goes by in a flash and I haven't been able to work out how to
> log the script outputs) with an individual vector. If, however, I
> patched the vector manually (outside the script), it would work fine.
>
> I suspect that because of the speed and huge number of vectors I'm
> trying to put together, v.patch is having trouble finding the sidx file,
> but really, I have no idea. Any thoughts?
>
> Richard Chirgwin

Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://www.osgeo.org/
http://www.grassbook.org/