[GRASS-user] using grass on rasters without converting?

matt wilkie maphew at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 08:07:50 EDT 2008

Hello Grass World,

As a long time GIS user I've dipped into grass from time to time but never
in depth. One of the things that's deterred me is the fact that I have a
large body of data I work with (tens of gigabytes) and the prospect of
having to convert into grass, process it, and then flip it back out again is
unappealing. I respect the fact that the grass storage format allow it to do
things not possible otherwise. Is there any program available, or a project
in the works, for easy in-and-out conversion? or better yet, a method to use
grass commands on external formats like geotiff without conversion? Is this
a possibility in future or is the structure of grass such that it will just
never work? I'd love to be able to be able to do the likes of
"r.shaded.relief input=mydem.tif output=myshade.tif"

thanks,

-matt