Failure on Re: [GRASS-user] Help: Converting a raster map between locations (from wgs84 lat / long to UTM)

Corrado ct529 at york.ac.uk
Thu Oct 30 14:34:26 EDT 2008

Dear Daniel, dear Nikos, dear list,

I have tried everything I could. I read the GRASS books chapters and the
documentation. It does not work.

The problem is that the files I have are in WGS84 unprojected. See here:

http://www.worldclim.org/format.htm

Whichever procedure I use, whther Daniel's or the book (for example: page 47),
the problem is always the same.

I create a location + mapset + map with the worldclim data (location01). I
load the original data, and I call the raster map "precipitation". I generate
the correct box with v.region and I call it "test". I create a new location +
mapset (utm + osgb), called location02. I run v.proj in location B pointing
at map "test"

v.proj input=test location=location01 mapset=PERMANENT

I have the same problem:

PROJ_INFO file not found for location location01

But of course the projection is not defined, the data are unprojected!

I am slowly getting desperate .... I have been working on it several days and
cannot get a sensible result. I have tried with different datum
transformation parameters for osgb36 and trying to project .... but the
results are very unreliable ....

Do you know what should I do?

--
Corrado Topi

Global Climate Change & Biodiversity Indicators
Area 18,Department of Biology
University of York, York, YO10 5YW, UK
Phone: + 44 (0) 1904 328645, E-mail: ct529 at york.ac.uk