[GRASS-user] BIN raster import

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 05:37:54 EDT 2008

Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> Returning to my original problem: is there a program for
> Linux that will read a BIN DEM, and let me save it in something
> like GeoTIFF, because I cannot beat the two-byte file size
> error detected by r.in.bin.

You can try gdal_translate, but I think if the numbers don't
add up in r.in.bin then as a fundamental matter they won't add
up anywhere else either. Unless GDAL's autodetect magic finds
something special about the file format.

Can you provide all the known info you can about the file?
Exact filesize, expected dimensions, given bounds, endianness,
bytes per cell, data type (floating point, integer, ..),
expected data range, etc.? Maybe we can figure it out with a
hand calculator.

It could be that there is some header info written before the
stream of data which is padding the filesize by several bytes
thus throwing off the sanity check math.

Hamish