[GRASS-user] web mapping

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 08:34:05 EDT 2008

There are a lot of solutions.
My opinion:

Geoserver+Openlayers: Geoserver is easy to admin through a Web-based
GUI. It provides examples for using Openlayers on it. Openlayers is an
Applicatin Programmint Interface running "client side", meaning that
you have to write down some code to make it work (Javasscript).
Mapserver is my favorite, and have a good documentation, but you have
to understand the mapfile syntex in order to use it.

In case you choose Openlayers as a lightweight client, consider using
WMS/WFS in both cases.

Pmapper is another thing respect to Openlayers. It is a client but it
runs server-side (PHP language). It is a complete application, ready
to be used. You just need to setup its configuration file.

The choice between the clients is based on you needs. If you are used
to Javascript, on want google-style light interfaces, OL is right for
you. If you want ready toolbars (seach, identify, etc.) Pmapper is a
good solution.

Giovanni