[GRASS-user] ECW Import not matching up

Adam Dershowitz adershowitz at exponent.com
Fri Sep 12 17:22:51 EDT 2008

I have a project that has a bunch of different layers.  I have some
GPS points that all lineup nicely with a map that I had downloaded
using the r.in.oneearth plugin.  So all seemed well.
Then, I just downloaded a few ecw images from rgis.unm.edu.  I used
gdal to import them (I have the EWC GDAL plugin installed).  There
were no errors on import.  GRASS reported "Projection of input dataset
and current location appear to match".
The problem is that that these images are off from everything else by
something like 200 m.  These new images are mostly north, and a little
west of the rest of my data.

Any ideas why this might be?  How can I get these to match up properly?
The project settings are
projection: 1 (UTM)
zone:       13
datum:      nad27
ellipsoid:  a=6378206.4 es=0.006768658

While the imported files contain the following info in the associated
meta data file:

Spatial_Reference_Information:

     Horizontal_Coordinate_System_Definition:

         Planar:

             Grid_Coordinate_System:

                 Grid_Coordinate_System_Name:Universal Transverse
Mercator
                 Universal_Transverse_Mercator:

                     UTM_Zone_Number:13
                     Transverse_Mercator:

                         Scale_Factor_at_Central_Meridian:0.999600
                         Longitude_of_Central_Meridian:-105.000000
                         Latitude_of_Projection_Origin:0.000000
                         False_Easting:500000.000000
                         False_Northing:0.000000

             Planar_Coordinate_Information:

                 Planar_Coordinate_Encoding_Method:row and column
                 Coordinate_Representation:

                     Abscissa_Resolution:1.000000
                     Ordinate_Resolution:1.000000

                 Planar_Distance_Units:meters

         Geodetic_Model:

             Horizontal_Datum_Name:North American Datum of 1983
             Ellipsoid_Name:Geodetic Reference System 80
             Semi-major_Axis:6378137.000000
             Denominator_of_Flattening_Ratio:298.257222

So it seems that the import is NAD83.  Could that be the problem?
Shouldn't GRASS correct this on import?  If not, how can I get GRASS
to correct this?
If this is not the problem, does anyone have any suggestions for what
else it could be?

Thanks,

--Adam