[GRASS-user] Linking error in photo.2image

Craig Leat craig.leat at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 16:00:39 EDT 2008

Hamish wrote:
> Craig Leat:
>> > When running make in /grass6_devel/imagery/i.ortho.photo/photo.2image
>> > I get a linking error as follows:
>> >
>> > /usr/bin/ld: OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu/mark.o(.text+0x94a): unresolvable
>> > R_386_32 relocation against symbol `line'
>> > /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
>> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> > make: *** [/usr/local/src/grass6_devel/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/etc/photo.2image]
>> > Error 1
>>
> Markus:
>> I just found a similar problem in the GDAL list:
>> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2008-September/018278.html
>>
>> Maybe your problem in induced by the GDAL library?
>

> After SVN update of the grass6 source I now get the same error when
> compling photo.2image.
>
> I reverted the only recent change (indent) but still get the error.
>
> Nothing else on the machine has changed much since the last build,
> maybe a newer version of GDAL from Debian backports.org?

This error persists even though I have:
1. Upgraded to gcc 4.3.2 (self compiled)
2. Recompiled gdal 1.5.2 using '-fpic' compiler flag
3. compiled GRASS with each of these flags in turn: -fpic,
-Wl,--warn-unresolved-symbols, -Wl,--unresolved-symbols=ignore-all

GRASS 6.3.1 compiles beautifully and so at least I have a working GRASS.

Craig

Ps I'm on ubuntu 7.10, 32 bit, i686