[GRASS-user] Linking error in photo.2image

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Sep 15 03:24:30 EDT 2008

Hamish wrote:

> > It's more likely that some other file also contains a symbol named
> > "line". But the only one which I can find is the line() function in
> > lib/driver/Polygon.c, and that isn't exported.
>
> Through a process of going back to the date of my last known successful
> full build, updating 1/2 way to the current revision, testing, updating/
> reverting to 1/2 way through the remaining failure set, and so on, has
> led me to determine that the commit in which the problem is first seen is
> r33287 (initial r.external backport).
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/33187
>
> unfortunately it's a complicated commit.

In that case, it's almost certainly due to the fact that GDAL exports
a variable named "line".

You might want to report this to the GDAL developers; most of the
other variables have names which are unlikely to accidentally
conflict, but "line" is likely to be quite a common variable name.

> WRT line being used uninitialized in mark.c, I wonder if line is global
> there (and not reset to 0) so that the function can be reentrant and
> continue (line++) from where it last left off? (say a list continuing in
> a second column)

If that's the case, it can be declared "static", which also solves the
lack of initialisation.

Also, bear in mind that i.ortho.photo is "dead" in 7.x. It relies
heavily upon curses, vask, terminal interaction, and mouse input from
the monitor, all of which are unavailable in 7.x. Even if someone
wants to resurrect it, a lot of code will need to be replaced,
including the code in question.