[GRASS-user] Trouble with ESRI TIGER/LINE Files and Coordinate System

Ryan R. Rosario uclamathguy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 02:48:34 EDT 2008

I have downloaded several files from the ESRI TIGER/LINE database. The site
claims that the files are in lat/lon NAD83 format. Perfect! I assume this
would correspond to EPSG 4269 format.

I have tried creating a new location in all three ways: projection values
using lat/lon (using rounded values of the geographic area), georeferenced
file (the shape file), and by EPSG Code (3310 and 4269). In every case, when
I import the shape file using v.in.ogr and then display the vector map, it
is displayed in a region using some other format (huge numbers), and not in
the lat/lon format I expected. The projection even reads "x,y" even though I
selected lat/lon for the location:

-|