[GRASS-user] v.trees.3d and gem

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Sep 16 10:13:59 EDT 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 7:04 AM, Benjamin Ducke wrote:

> As the GEM manual (comes as part of GRASS since 6.3, just like the
> gem6
> program) states: you can only use GEM to install extensions that have
> been prepared especially for it.
>
> That is not the case for any of the stuff in the GRASS add-ons
> repository. Instructions on how to install those add-ons should be
> available on the same page from where you downloaded the add-on
> itself.
>
> I propose removing GEM from GRASS 6.4. It's done some good job as a
> development tool for me, but as a user tool, it only creates
> confusion,
> like in this case. Plus, after several years, not a single
> GEM-installable extension has ever surfaced (apart from the stuff
> along
> side which I originally developed GEM).

One of the wishlist items in the GRASS 6.3 feature plan was to clean
up the makefile system to facilitate extension compilation.  The
basics are there, it just needs some work.

I started a wiki page with some ideas about that (from list discussion
with Glynn, and my OSX work), but got distracted and didn't finish:

http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Extension_development

 From a Mac perspective, I wouldn't mind if GEM was removed now - it
doesn't fit in with the OSX way of not installing extras in the
application package, and it hasn't compiled in a while for me.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled
with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in a
bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy