[GRASS-user] v.trees.3d and gem

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Tue Sep 16 08:04:20 EDT 2008

As the GEM manual (comes as part of GRASS since 6.3, just like the gem6
program) states: you can only use GEM to install extensions that have
been prepared especially for it.

That is not the case for any of the stuff in the GRASS add-ons
repository. Instructions on how to install those add-ons should be
available on the same page from where you downloaded the add-on itself.

I propose removing GEM from GRASS 6.4. It's done some good job as a
development tool for me, but as a user tool, it only creates confusion,
like in this case. Plus, after several years, not a single
GEM-installable extension has ever surfaced (apart from the stuff along
side which I originally developed GEM).

Ben

Gabriele N. wrote:
> thanks, Hamish.
>
> I did not understand how to install v.trees.3d with grass installed by the
> binaries.
>
> So I installed grass64 by source and I have tried in many ways but I was not
> able to install v.trees.3d.
> For example (into grass)
> GRASS 6.4.svn (gb2):/usr/src/grass_addons > gem6
> --grass=/usr/local/grass-6.4.svn/ -i v.trees3d.tar.gz
> Uncompressing files...DONE.
>
> ERROR: 'name' file not readable.
> Program exited with an error (code -6). Operation aborted.
> [Raster MASK present]
> GRASS 6.4.svn (gb2):/usr/src/grass_addons >
>
> Or
> gab at gab-laptop:/usr/src/grass_addons/v.trees3d$ sudo make
> MODULE_TOPDIR=usr/local/grass-6.4.svn
> Makefile:10: usr/local/grass-6.4.svn/include/Make/Module.make: No such file
> or directory
> make: *** No rule to make target
> `usr/local/grass-6.4.svn/include/Make/Module.make'.  Stop.
> gab at gab-laptop:/usr/src/grass_addons/v.trees3d$
>

> ?
>

> hamish_b wrote:
>> Gabriele wrote:
>>> I installed gcc and now I have installed the build-essential package.
>>>
>>> There is no package glibc-devel.
>> Hi,
>>
>> could you point out for us where in the documentation that information is
>> missing? Then we can add it and the next user to come along doesn't hit
>> the same problem.
>>

>>> The error has changed:
>>> /usr/src/gem-1.03/tools.c:546: warning: the use of `mktemp' is dangerous,
>>> better use `mkstemp' or `mkdtemp'
>>> gab at gab-laptop:/usr/src/gem-1.03$
>> That's not an error just a warning message. The module should have still
>> been built successfully.
>>
>> And for what it's worth, mktemp in the GEM code was replaced with mkstemp
>> a year ago and the change is included in the GRASS 6.3.0 release.
>>
>> devs: I see that the iostream lib conditionalizes mkstemp() so mktemp is
>> used for WinGRASS. So either iostream/ or GEM needs updating.
>>

>> Hamish

Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeology Ltd
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES