[GRASS-user] <sigh>Not this pest again!

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Thu Sep 18 00:31:26 EDT 2008

Hi all,

It seems to be my burden lately to burden the list ...

... Having given up on the Australian Communications & Media Authority
DEM because it won't import into Grass-GIS (there seems to be some
fiddling to keep the DEM hidden behind a silly Windows app), I'm turning
to other DEMs.

The NASA SRTM seems as if it would suit my purposes, except that using
r.in.srtm I get a lovely image with no elevation data. So r.what comes
up with latitude, longitude, and null, eg:
150 | -34 | | *

QGIS imports and displays the HGT file okay, but misinterprets the
elevation data as band data (so for Katoomba, 1000m above sea level,
QGIS says the band is 1004).

There aren't that many options in r.in.srtm, so I don't think I could
have gotten any of them wrong...

Richard Chirgwin