[GRASS-user] Trouble with ESRI TIGER/LINE Files and Coordinate System

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 20:30:15 EDT 2008

Ryan R. Rosari wrote:
> Which gets me to thinking... It would be great if GRASS had a similar
> feature, where the user can select how the coordinates are displayed at
> the bottom of the map output window (meters, feet, degrees) as
> a quick reference.

see:
 "g.proj -p" from the command line
 "PROJ_UNITS" file in the location's PERMANENT mapset
 G_database_unit_name(), G_database_units_to_meters_factor() in libgis

In my experience reprojection on-the-fly is nice in theory, a disaster
in practice. I would suggest to help QGIS (and Arc for that matter) get
that working correctly before thinking about doing so in GRASS.
(neither handle mixed datums well; real raster reproj is too expensive)

see also viewproj from GRASS 5,
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass/src.contrib/LM/viewproj/README?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Hamish