[GRASS-user] Re: grass-user Digest, Vol 29, Issue 56

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Sep 24 13:46:25 EDT 2008

On Sep 24, 2008, at 5:48 AM, <grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:48:53 +0200
> From: "Edmondo Elisei" <edmondo.elisei at gmail.com>
> Subject: [GRASS-user] srtm data import
> To: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org
>
> hi all,
> there someone that can help me about srtm CGIAR data importing into
> grass
> 6.3?
>
> Hi tryed by downloading data as GEOTIFF and I've imported in GRASS
> but the
> resultant map haven't  elevation, with ASCII GRID it happens the same

It happens that I just tried this with a student yesterday. It seems
that the new version 4 SRTM's from CGIAR do not have projection
information in the header. (Probably need to contact someone there
about this).

Anyway, the way to deal with this is to create a latlong region with a
WGS84 datum and use r.in.gdal to import the SRTM. IMPORTANT: you'll
need to set the projection override flag.

They should import fine in this way.

Michael