[GRASS-user] Second try, run grass scripts as batch process in Windows

Marco Pasetti marcopstt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 02:59:11 EDT 2008

Hi Moritz,

sorry, I'm probably missing the point... but I'll try to help:

> Note that IIRC, the automatic GUI creation for commands without parameters
> does not work in Windows (Marco, can you confirm ?). So just calling
> 'g.region' will probably not work. Try with 'g.region -p'

if you mean: type a command directly in the shell, that is: not in the GRASS
Output GUI command line, but from the shell (cmd or msys) that started GRASS
(calling the grass63 command)

YES, you're definetely right!

then, about creating batch processes for GRASS commands, I suggest to create
scripts with a Unix-like syntax and then launch them within a GRASS MSYS
session:

1. open the GRASS MSYS console:
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass63/binary/mswindows/native/README.html#Launching%20GRASS

2. if you're not sure how to use Unix-like commands, you can basically refer
to this document: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unix_utilities

note: not all the commands listed in the document above are recognized by
MSYS. To know if a specif_command is known by the system in use, type
which specif_command
and enter

3. write your batch commands with a simple text editor and then save it as
"filename.sh" in \GRASS\msys\home\username\ or in \GRASS\scripts\

4. launch GRASS from the MSYS console, and then type "filename.sh" in the
msys command line

Regards,

Marco