[GRASS-user] How to work with the NASA Blue Marble dataset

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at mac.com
Mon Sep 29 13:40:14 EDT 2008

Hi,
           I'm new to GRASS and would like to know how I can work with
the NASA Blue Marble dataset.

I went to the NASA site http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=2429
   but don't know where or how to start. There are some references to
using a Bit Torrent client to download a data set.

Q1. How can I obtain the torrent files for downloading the NASA Blue
Marble dataset?

Q2. Which file format is the NASA Blue Marble dataset stored in?

Q3. Which grass modules should I use to import the NASA Blue Marble
dataset?

Q4. What is the difference between the NASA onearth WMS server ( http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/
   ) and the NASA Blue Marble data set server ( ftp://veftp.gsfc.nasa.gov/bluemarble
  ) ? Is it the same thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson