[GRASS-user] Re: How to work with the NASA Blue Marble dataset

"Sören Gebbert" soerengebbert at gmx.de
Mon Sep 29 15:19:36 EDT 2008

Hi Elvis,
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:40:14 +0400
> Von: Elvis Dowson <elvis.dowson at mac.com>
> An: GRASS User <grass-user at lists.osgeo.org>
> CC: "Sören Gebbert" <soerengebbert at gmx.de>
> Betreff: How to work with the NASA Blue Marble dataset

> Hi,
>            I'm new to GRASS and would like to know how I can work with
> the NASA Blue Marble dataset.
>
> I went to the NASA site http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=2429
>    but don't know where or how to start. There are some references to
> using a Bit Torrent client to download a data set.
>
> Q1. How can I obtain the torrent files for downloading the NASA Blue
> Marble dataset?

You do not need to use torrent.

> Q2. Which file format is the NASA Blue Marble dataset stored in?

.tif, .png or .jpg outside of grass and as grass raster map insinde of grass.

http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/modules/r.in.onearth.tar.gz

> Q4. What is the difference between the NASA onearth WMS server (
> http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/
>    ) and the NASA Blue Marble data set server (
> ftp://veftp.gsfc.nasa.gov/bluemarble
>   ) ? Is it the same thing?

No. The first one is a wms server which provides more data than just blue marble: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Map_Service
The second one is a ftp server providing blue marble image files.

Best regards
Soeren

Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/wasistshortview.php?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx