[GRASS-user] Re: Problem grass-6.4.0 error setting region: child process exited abnormally

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Sep 29 17:55:23 EDT 2008

On Sep 29, 2008, at 4:18 PM, Elvis Dowson wrote:

> Hi,
>         I built grass-6.4.0 using the following configure command:
>
> ./configure --with-cxx --prefix=/Applications/GRASS --enable-macosx-
> app --with-x --with-opengl=x11 --without-readline --x-includes=/usr/
> X11/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11/lib --with-opengl-includes=/usr/
> X11/include --with-opengl-libs=/usr/X11/lib
>
> Does this have something to do with me not starting the X11 display
> server? How do I do this on Mac OS X?

It's automatic on OSX 10.5.  In fact, if you set DISPLAY in your shell
startup, this may interfere with the automatic DISPLAY setting.

> Is there a way to get grass to compile with Carbon bindings?

Nope.  Unless you use the Python GUI.  Or use an Aqua TclTk.  But you
still need X11 for a "display", ie from d.mon (I believe the display
mechanism has been removed from GRASS 7).

>> If I click on the details button, I get the following error
>> information:
>>
>> can't read "parts(projection)": no such variable
>> can't read "parts(projection)": no such variable
>>    while executing
>> "regexp -nocase {^([0-9]+)} $parts(projection) trash
>> parts(projection)"
>>    (procedure "MapCanvas::runprograms" line 46)
>>    invoked from within
>> "MapCanvas::runprograms $mon [expr {$mymodified != 0}]"
>>    (procedure "MapCanvas::drawmap" line 38)
>>    invoked from within
>> "MapCanvas::drawmap $mon"
>>    (procedure "MapCanvas::display_server" line 9)
>>    invoked from within
>> "MapCanvas::display_server"
>>    ("after" script)
>>

>> What could be causing it?  I just built grass-6.4.0 on Mac OS X
>> 10.5.5.

I think this has appeared before, but I don't know the solution, if
any.  The GUI experts could tell you.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Mon Dieu! but they are all alike.  Cheating, murdering, lying,
fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would not
deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures of
weaklings.  And yet withal bound down by silly customs that make them
slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief that they be the
lords of creation enjoying the only real pleasures of existence....

- the wisdom of Tarzan