[GRASS-user] Re: GRASS-user] Re: Problem grass-6.4.0 error setting region: child process exited abnormally

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Sep 30 00:30:35 EDT 2008

Hi Elvis,

Guess you didn't want to try my suggestions for compiling.

Anyway, as Glynn indicates, the error you have is most likely related
to GDAL being an incorrect version or not installed correctly.
Otherwise, it is due to something else wrong with your region. As he
suggests, g.region -p might give you some guidance.

The correct way to start either gui from the command line now is to
use g.gui tcltk& or g.gui wxpython&

Note that you need to use the ampersand to prevent either gui from
running modally (i.e., locking you out of the terminal command line
until you quit the GUI). I guess you can still access the old TclTk
startup script, which includes an ampersand to prevent modal launch of
the GUI.

One guess as to why you are getting a TclTk GUI even when you compile
without it. You probably compiled with it, which put all the TclTk
scripts into your binary grass.app file. If you subsequently compile
without it and do a "make install", it will put in new files and
overwrite old files with new, but will not get rid of files not
overwritten. That is, you probably still have the TclTk scripts in
your grass.app folder. They are simply text files that are interpreted
as they are run. So you aren't actually compiling them, but simply
copying them from the source tree into your binary grass.app folder.
So they are still there, even after you have compiled without them
unless you delete your grass.app and have a new one built from scratch.

Michael

On Sep 29, 2008, at 5:14 PM, <grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org> <grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org