[GRASS-user] Re: Patched version of libjpeg-6b for 32-bit and 64-bit architectures

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Sep 30 18:21:55 EDT 2008

On Sep 30, 2008, at 4:52 PM, Elvis Dowson wrote:

> Hi William,
>                      Yes, those flags are being dropped somehow, I
> didn't know it was libtool. I had a suspicion that the instructions
> for specifying the environment variables was somehow redundant,
> since it didn't appear in the Makefile, even though makefile.cfg
> attempts to reference these variables for inclusion in the Makefile.
>
> In the end I just had to edit the Makefile manually to get it to work.

It's still strange.  Libtool operates during compilation, so even
after changing the makefile after configuring, libtool should be
dropping the flags.  If it was just configure dropping the flags, then
patching the makefile would definitely work.

You can see what's happening by looking at the make output, there will
be a libtool line immediately followed by a gcc line.  The gcc line is
the result of processing by libtool, with the flags normalized for the
OS and flags it didn't understand stripped out.

It may be that one of the patches you found fixed libtool so that it
doesn't ignore arch flags. (note: "libtool" is generated from
"ltmain.sh" and "ltconfig" and custom info in configure)

> Some of the patches that I applied helped to create the dynamic
> libraries. The original 6b sources somehow only kept generating the
> static versions of these libraries.

That's a libtool problem that the patch in my build instructions
addresses.

> On Oct 1, 2008, at 1:43 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> The main problem is that the libtool included is so old (v1.3.5),
>> it doesn't understand the OSX -arch flags.  And it's too old to
>> *easily* update libtool, though some autotools whiz probably could.
>>
>> I'm actually surprised this works for you - libtool 1.3.5 should
>> quietly drop those arch flags during compilation (or complain).  My
>> build instructions use a different approach, using a custom gcc
>> wrapper to fool libtool into not seeing the flags.  Though I have
>> been considering a custom makefile, which should be easy enough, so
>> I don't have to depend on the gcc wrapper.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"This is a question about the past, is it? ... How can I tell that the
past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy between
my immediate physical sensations and my state of mind?"

- The Ruler of the Universe