[GRASS-user] Off Topic: Importing GRASS tiffs to GMT

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 11:45:53 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 2:58 AM, John Stevenson
<john.stevenson at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hamish wrote:

>> Moritz wrote:
>>

>>> I can't help you on your precise questions, but have you seen
>>> Dylan's article:
>>> http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/561
>>> (see link to pdf on that page) ?

Which of course should be updated....

>> and of course the GRASS Wiki:
>>  http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GMT
>>
>> (which of course forever needs updating)

Sigh... on my to-do list, really!

> By a tiff, do you mean a georeferenced map? I've plotted aerial photos that
> I rectified in GRASS using the following to export the RGB bands:
>
> r.mapcalc "image.red=r#image; image.green=g#image; image.blue=b#image"
> r.out.bin -h input=image.red output=image.red.grd
> r.out.bin -h input=image.green output=image.green.grd
> r.out.bin -h input=image.blue output=image.blue.grd
>
> Followed by:
>
> grdimage image.red.grd image.green.grd image.blue.grd -J -R -B ...etc.
>
> I've just put the same workflow onto the wiki.  I've also used r.his to make
> coloured shaded relief maps, and plotted them in GMT using the same method.
>  I don't think that it is the optimal method, but at least it preserved my
> colour rules.
>
> Cheers
>
> John

Yep. This is nealry the same general approach that I use, however- I
tend to pipe the output from r.out.bin to  xyz2grd.

Here is a script with a pile of commands that may be useful to some:
http://169.237.35.250/~dylan/temp/where_2.0/template.sh

... note that it could use some updating as well.

Cheers,
Dylan