[GRASS-user] exporting areas to shapefiles without filling holes

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 03:01:35 EDT 2009

Hi,

I've got a grass vector map containing some areas with holes. It's a
polygon of a river containing some islands; it looks nice in grass,
centroids with cat in the wet parts, no centroids in the islands.
There is no DB table.

after exporting with 'v.out.ogr type=area' to a shapefile, when I load
the shp file into QGIS 0.8.1 I see that all the holes have been filled in.
The boundaries are still intact. using qgis's editing tools I can cut
them out, but it takes a bit of manual labour to fix them all.

what am I doing wrong?

thanks,
Hamish