[GRASS-user] Multiple to one question

Adam Dershowitz adershowitz at exponent.com
Mon Apr 13 17:23:34 EDT 2009

I am trying to set up a new project in Grass, and I have a question
about the best approach.
I have different vector locations, and at each one there were multiple
samples taken.  At the moment I have each sample as a row in a data
base.
My question is how best to put this data into a set of vector points.
I believe that I can do it in either of two ways (of not others).
1)  I can create a vector point at each location, then I think that I
can have multiple cats for that object.  So I think I can do cat=1,3,6
for a given location.
Will that work OK?
2)  I can just create different vector objects, that happen to be at
the identical location, and have each one point to a different cat.

If the above is not clear, here is a bit more detailed example.
At location A there was a sample collected on 1/1 with a value of 2.1,
on 2/2 with a value of 2.2 and on 3/3 with a value of 3.3

The above data is already 3 rows in a database.

I want to be able to display data about point A (say, average value or
things like that).  Should I just create a vector point A and then do
cat=1,2,3 or should I create 3 different vector points at A, each one
having a different cat?

Any guidance about the benefits or limitations each approach (or any
other approach to consider) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Adam