grass going to python scripting (was Re: [GRASS-user] new module: r.surf.volcano)

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Apr 21 23:44:37 EDT 2009

maning sambale wrote:

> Am I right that GRASS 7 will use Python as the scripting language,
> therefore, unix shell scripting won't be supported anymore?

As Michael says, you can script GRASS in any language which has the
ability to run commands.

But we're trying to replace the shell scripts which are included in
GRASS with Python versions. Apart from anything else, there are a lot
of issue with shell scripts on Windows.

> Should I start learning Python now?

Yes.

> Should I port my scripts to Python?

Yes, if you want them to be portable, or might eventually want them to
be included as part of GRASS, or if they're complex.

Unix shells tend to be poor programming languages, as they are
designed for interactive use first, and scripting second.

The only reason anyone chooses the Bourne shell as a programming
language is because every Unix system has it. But if you want
portability to Windows, that's no longer an advantage.