[GRASS-user] ' v.in.db ' question

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Apr 22 03:24:34 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Bulent Arikan wrote:
>> I am trying to import an OpenOffice dbf into a wgs84
>> PERMANENT Location. I did this several times in the past
>> with older versions of GRASS. I enter all the necessary
>> information (input table, column names for x, y, z and
>> CAT#). The Connection tab shows "dbf" for the driver name
>> and database name reads "
>> $GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/dbf/ "

Please also consider
db.in.ogr
for easy DBF (and other) import:
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/db.in.ogr.html

(ideally in GRASS 6.4.x or 7).

>> I get this message:
>>
>> DBMI-DBF driver error:
>> Table 'Iron_II_KNOWN_Sites' doesn't exist
>> Missing column <CAT> in table <Iron_II_KNOWN_Sites>
>> I will greatly appreciate any suggestions.
>
> maybe it is case sensitive? try key=cat instead of key=CAT.  ???
>
> [SQL defines column names to be case insensitive, yes??

To my knowledge no.
Because e.g. PostgreSQL support upper case column names but you have
to quote them. That's the source of the problem here maybe that
quoting is needed but cannot be propagated internally or so.

Personally I always avoid upper case columns and live happy with that.

Markus