[GRASS-user] GRASS, Eclipse, Python behavioural problems in Linux9.04 vs WinXP

georgew gws293 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 28 19:44:15 EDT 2009

Hi, I am suffering from few inconsistencies when running the same software
levels of Grass (6.4.rc4), Eclipse (3.4.2)  and Pydev 1.4.5., Python 2.6 on
a WinXP platform vs Ubuntu 9.04, as follows.
Using Eclipse to run or debug this short Python program:

import os
import grass

vectorname="map2000vect"
type="vector"
mapset="PERMANENT"

env = grass.gisenv()
print env
res = grass.find_file(vectorname,type,mapset)
print res
rem = grass.read_command('g.remove', vect=vectorname)
print rem

behaves faultlessly under WinXP but when run under Ubuntu although it runs
without errors, only the first two commands are actually executed and
produce output, the g.remove appears to be executed but results in no
removal and no output.
The same source program runs correctly however when executed in Ubuntu as a
python script from the Grass terminal.
I was hoping that some Grass user out there that has tried a similar
software combination might be able to throw some light even though I am not
sure this really is a Grass problem.
Many thanks