[GRASS-user] Help using color tables (differences)

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 7 15:34:35 EDT 2009

I have been using r.colors -n map=mapname color=differences to display
soil moisture differences from one day to another (to identify areas
that have received precipitation and areas that are drying); I would
like to depict wetting areas as shades of blue to white and drying areas
as shades of white to red — as the the option color=differences tries to
do. The difficulty I'm running into is that unless there is a fairly
even proportion of of positive & negative values I'll have wetting areas
colored a shade of red instead of blue, but more often, the reverse
where drying areas are colored blue, due to the shift of the color
scale. Ideally, I want values close to -0- to be white and wet areas to
be a shade of blue and dry areas to be a shade of red. How can I do
this? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

--