[GRASS-user] user/group permissions for accessing data on mounted drive

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Sat Aug 15 16:14:34 EDT 2009

Hello,
I have a question on the requirements GRASS has towards user/group
permissions on linux:

My data is stored on a vfat partition mounted by a Ubuntu Linux.
The corresponding entry in the mount configuration file (/etc/fstab) goes:

UUID=44FC-A7FD /media/daten vfat
defaults,utf8,gid=46,fmask=111,umask=000   0   0

group id 46 belongs to plugdev which contains all users that can mount
drives.

The rights shown by ls -l look like:
drwxrwxrwx  5 root plugdev  32K 2009-03-02 20:01 transfer
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root plugdev    0 2009-07-07 23:11 video.flv

When I start GRASS trying to access the GRASS data base at
/media/daten/grassdata it says "ERROR: MAPSET PERMANENT - permission
denied" and the GUI would abort.

Please inicate me how I need to set my permissions on the mounted drive
that GRASS can use the data.

I do not encounter such problems with other programs, though.

Thanks in advance,
Timmie