[GRASS-user] Re: user/group permissions for accessing data on mounted drive

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Sun Aug 16 17:03:21 EDT 2009

Hello,
thanks a lot for the answer (on the weekend) ;-)

> You must be the owner of the directory selected as the current mapset.
> A FAT/VFAT partition mounted by root must be mounted with the uid=
> option to set the owner.
OK. I was able to get access using the right uid in fstab.
But let's say that more than  one person uses this computer.
What is the best way to handle this?
I cannot log in, change the uid in fstab and reboot and longin with
another user account.

> Alternatively, you can disable the checks in the source code and
> re-compile. The checks are in G__mapset_permissions and
> G__mapset_permissions2 in lib/gis/mapset_msc.c. This isn't recommended
> on a multi-user system, as it can result in a user inadvertently
> creating directories which the mapset's owner cannot delete or rename.
Could this not be converted in a configuration parameter?
See the following use case:
A desktop/notebook used by a group of people. Of course, these collegues
would not work on this machine simultaniously but log in at different
times with different user names.

Any solutions?

Thanks in advance,
Timmie