[GRASS-user] Running Scripts in GRASS

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 18 21:04:59 EDT 2009

Markus wrote:
> Perhaps we should cook up a Wiki page describing this briefly?

shrug. or as it's an external task, delegate the matter and add a link to some good document on the web about unix shell scripting. I'm sure there are many out there already. (but
whatever)

Andrew, another thing to realize is that these are just terminal prompt commands strung together via cut and paste into a file.

Also the wiki instructions were not written with a script in mind, so you will probably have to adjust a few filenames etc by hand.

I just updated the simple XY method example to use the new
'r.in.gdal -l' directly into a lat/lon location, but I think
the gdal_translate method is better.

typically shell scripts are given a shebang line which looks
like:

#!/bin/sh

this tells the OS that when you run the program it should use
the shell program (found in /bin/sh) to run it.

Hamish