[GRASS-user] Reading list of vector maps into file or array

M S mseibel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 11:51:47 EDT 2009

Greetings All:

How would one read the vector maps in a current mapset into a file, or a
list in an array (using python)?  If I do 'g.list vect > walker.list', the
list is not in one column and seems to be separated by tabs, with 4 columns
and a bunch of rows of vector files.  Would a simple solution be to begin
processing that redirected output?

As background...

After running the r.sim.water module, I get a bunch of walkerXXXX vector
maps as outputs for given intervals.  Works well thus far.

I'm building an animated GIF of the walkers over time, on a shaded DEM.  The
method I am using is tedious and am seeking to automate the process.  I load
all the layers (shaded DEM, walkers at various intervals) and turn on one
walker vector, and output a .png from the display monitor.  Wash, rinse,
repeat until all walkers have been captured as an image, then animate them
with the 'convert' command.

If anyone has some suggestions on how to get vector maps into a list, please
let me know.  Also, if there is a better way to solve this problem, any
feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Mark