[GRASS-user] Re: Georectify problem

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Dec 2 13:20:11 EST 2009

On Dec 2, 2009, at 11:43 AM, Adam Dershowitz, Ph.D., P.E. wrote:

> While, when I run William Kyngesburye's build I see this in the terminal:
> Rebuilding Addon menu...
> Python 2.6.4 found.
>
> But, at the command line, if I just do python, I end up with Apple version 2.6.1.  I will also ask about this on the macports list, which is very active.
>
> For what it is worth, I know that in the past, with 10.5, and Macports installed I was able to run the wxpython version, but I can't seem to get it to work now.

Where does MacPorts install its Python?  And is it a frameowrk build?  I know it normally keeps everything isolated in its own folder, but maybe Python is different, if it's a framework.

The way I have the python detection setup in the OSX startup, the first priority is always the same major.minor version it was built with, and for my Snow build it's 2.6.  Then the priorities are:

$GRASS_PYTHON setting
in $PATH
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework
System python

So, if you have the system python in your PATH (running python from a Terminal), somehow that is failing, and if MacPorts python is in /Library/Frameworks, it finds that.

What does this give you:

type -p pythonw2.6

and this:

`type -p pythonw2.6` -V

Then we get to the architectures.  Does MacPorts build universal by default or just the default ssytem architecture?  Try:

file /path/to/macports/python/bin/python

If it's only x86_64 (default on Snow), then yes wxpython will fail, as that is only possible 32bit.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the ____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war