[GRASS-user] Converting from Lat/Long to Projection -- REALLY SOLVED

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Dec 3 09:02:47 EST 2009

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009, Glynn Clements wrote:

> 1. The default input format has X (easting) followed by Y (northing).
> You need to use the -r switch if the northing comes first.

Glynn,

   That's what I thought. I tried the '-r' switch, too, based on the example
in the man page. Originally I had the easting first but changed to match the
man page example. It is the explanation below that was the real source of my
issues with the tool.

> 2. In the absence of a trailing E or W, positive eastings are east of the
> prime meridian. You need either a leading "-" or a trailing "W" for
> eastings in the western hemisphere.

   This is where I went off the tracks. I kept looking at the example in the
man page and saw the different formats. However, what I saw was that thowe
with a leading '-' or trailing 'W' were expressed in decimal degrees, not
degrees-minutes-seconds. Based on that I did not use either the prefix or
suffix since my values are in DMS.

   Thank you very much for clarifying. The man page is ambiguous and when
used as a learning tool rather than a reference leads to invalid results.

Very much appreciated,

Rich