[GRASS-user] grass70 and display monitor

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Sat Dec 5 17:23:12 EST 2009

Michael Barton wrote:
> A point on digitizing. If you haven't tried it, you should take a look
> at the digitizing that Martin has built into the new GUI. Because it
> has hot-key equivalents for all buttons, you CAN digitize with your
> right hand on the mouse and left on the keyboard. It also has a lot of
> contextual menus that you access by right clicking while you digitize
> rather than having to move to a separate text area like in 5.4.

Ah, I hadn't  realized that. Is that in  GRASS 7? I don't use GRASS
enough to compile  the unstable versions, but now  it's the first thing
I am going to do on Monday. Takes away my only major problem with GRASS.
BTW, I see that I asked for this last February
(http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2009-February/048986.html).
Don't know if that was the reason for the hot-keys, but thanks anyway.

>> If that is too much trouble, I would be perfectly happy to use older
>> versions of GRASS for dedicated purposes, provided I could use the
>> same mapsets. Copying and converting  maps between different versions
>> if the program is a major source of errors, some of them very
>> insidious. Would that be an alternative for retaining old
>> functionality: reading directly from old-style databases?
>
> This is not something I do any coding for, but AFAIK, GRASS will
> continue to be able to read GRASS files from the past, either directly
> or via translation.

It's not that important for me any more now, but perhaps older versions
of GRASS could be bundled as Qgis in OsGeo4W, where you can install one
or more of four versions. For Linux, you could think of distributing
them like the FWTools utilities: each version in a single directory
tree, including all the dependencies (and even a complete Python). That
way, different versions can be used without conflicts between library
versions. At least, that is the way  I manage them on the cluster I am
working on, to get quick functional copies on different nodes.

Jan