[GRASS-user] Hydroligics in grass

Joop Goedbloed jlgoedbloed at hetnet.nl
Fri Dec 11 14:44:07 EST 2009

Hi Users on the list

To trace back the overland flood mechanism in (sub)urban area I've done
some experiments in grass.
(Sub)urban areas has in general a sewer-system (combined or storm).
One of the design-parameters of a sewer is the maximal capacity of
rainfall, in most cases e sewer is design
to carry off about 20mm/h rain.

In case of very heavy storm about 60 mm/h the sewer becoms full and an
overland flood mechanism come into being.

I've a 5x5 meter grid DEM of the area.
In grass there are several modules to simulate overland flood.

* r. terraflow
* r.watershed
* r.topmodel
* r.topidx

What is the most useful module(s) in grass to simulate overland flood
mechanism?

First I used the r.terraflow module the resulting accumulation map is here:
Terraflow accumulation map <ftp://192.168.2.107/houtblerick/teracc.png>

Using the r.watershed module resulting  streammap is here:
Watershed stream map <ftp://192.168.2.107/houtblerick/wsstream.png>

In both maps the red boxes are the complaints of water flood
A foto of the real situation is here
Foto <ftp://192.168.2.107/houtblericj/Holleweg.jpg>

Thanks

Joop Goedbloed