[GRASS-user] Mask creation from sporadic data v.hull

John Tate john.tate at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 18 12:16:41 EST 2009

Hi Dylan,

Cheers for this.

I have been playing around with v.category and v.extract this afternoon to
create a boundary but not getting very far. I still have a lot to learn when
it comes to vectors and tables in GRASS.

I compared your method r.grow (had to be 4m to get rid of the holes in the
data) with r.in.xyz at 5m resolution (has to 5m to get rid of all holes) on a
sample area.

The r.in.xyz at 5m not only had a cleaner edge (no wavy edges around the ends
of the lidar lines) but seemed to be more accurate in general (less distance
away from points due to the location of the 5m cell grid).

There will still be some large holes in a few areas doing it this way. Guess
this will have to suffice for now. I want to try and keep the process simple so
that it can be automated without any visual interpretation to fill the large
holes with g.region, g.grow and then r.patch. Or digitising around the whole
swath.

Thanks for the response though, hadn't used r.grow before so good to learn
something new.

Cheers

John