[GRASS-user] Gathering all layers, defining subset

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 21 17:46:48 EST 2009

Rich wrote:
>   1) Copy each vector layer from the original location
> to 'project'. But,
> g.copy isn't working for me as I try to follow the example
> on the man page:
>
> GRASS 6.4.0svn (project):/usr4/grassbase > g.copy
> vect='lotic at Oregon',streams
> WARNING: <lotic at Oregon> not found
>
>   2) Copy the raster DEM layer from the original
> location to 'project'
>
> GRASS 6.4.0svn (project):/usr4/grassbase > g.copy
> rast=dem10m_northwest,elev
> WARNING: <dem10m_northwest> not found
>
>   In both cases the full path doesn't help; the '/' is
> not allowed.

use v.proj, r.proj top move maps between different locations.
use g.copy to copy among the same location but different mapsets,
probably with @othermapset for the source map name's mapset. see also the g.mapsets module (with an "s")

a location will have a specific projection setting, see
'g.proj -p'. If you know they are the same you can symlink the
mapset from one location into another at your own risk.

yes, the wiki fills the gap between man pages and textbooks
quite well.

Hamish