[GRASS-user] r.proj: fixing a failure

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 12:26:26 EST 2009

Hi Rich,

I'm no expert in projection or Grass for that matter but this is what
I understand about the way Grass projects rasters and vectors. Hope
not to be making things worse :)

In order to project a raster you have to "bring it in" your current
location from another location that has a different projection. That
is done using r.proj. The trick is that, when you bring your new
raster into the current location, it will respect you current region
settings, that is, limits and resolution. So, let's say you want to
project an Oregon map but you current region is set to Florida. This
will not work and your raster will not be projected.

So, in order to know where you projected raster will fall, you can use
the v.in.region trick. The command will create a bounding box in your
map and you can project the vector (using v.proj), and not wory about
the current region. Then you set your region to the recently projected
vector (g.region vect=box) and fix your resolution. Now you are ready
to project your raster and you know the current region matches the
region where your raster is coming from.

This is better explained in the r.proj manual page, in the notes section
http://www.ces.iisc.ernet.in/grass/grass62/manuals/html62_user/r.proj.html

Cheers
Daniel