[GRASS-user] Correctly Converting LL to LCC

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 28 12:43:43 EST 2009

Mark:

Rich wrote:
>   Issues to be resolved:
>
>   1) In both -6.4svn and -6.5svn using the wxPython
> GUI to create the new
> location using 'll' as the projection, the spin control
> widgets are not
> implemented for central latitude and central longitude.
> They will not change from 0.0.

They are locked at 0,0 because you typically want 0 lat, 0 lon to be
somewhere off the west coast of Africa. don't worry about it.

They are shown because some other projections with locked terms are more
interesting..

>   2) Also with both versions, trying to set the
> extents/bounds fails. I
> enter the appropriate values in each text entry widget, but
> clicking on the
> "OK" (or whatever that button is labeled) does nothing. No
> reaction. Must click the "Cancel" button to close that window.

I think that will be the wxGUI location wizard still needing some work.
there's a trac ticket for it. The work-around is to enter the bounds
as decimal degrees not ddd:mm:ss.sssH. from the old text based "wizard"
you can enter in either format.

>   Manually entering the central latitude and logitude in
> <location>/PERMANENT/PROJ_INFO, I used the lat_0 and
> lon_0 used in the PROJ_INFO file of another location.

don't do that.

> Then I started GRASS, and tried to import an ASCII point file.
>
>   3) Copying the source file (sites.txt) to
> <location>/PERMANENT, I try to
> import the points. This fails. See attached screenshot.

can you cut and paste the whole command line? it gets cut off.

what does `head sites.txt` look like?

Hamish