[GRASS-user] Correctly Converting LL to LCC

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 30 00:05:32 EST 2009

Rich wrote:
>   This leaves me with a question about the PROJ_INFO
> contents:
>
> name: Lambert Conformal Conic
> x_0: 399999.9999999999

>   The x_0 value seems to be in meters (in earlier
> locations it was rounded up to 400000) rather than feet.

that value is commonly listed in the "official" values given
by the ESPG file, so I'd just leave it be.

> Will this cause me problems if I continue to
> re-import into the new location and integrate all maps?

hopefully it won't trigger the "the projection settings do not
match" warning when importing data.

in practical terms, if the data is transposed a nanometer one
way or another I don't think it'll hurt much...

>   After running 'g.region vect=basins' and 'g.region
> -p' I see:
>
> projection: 99 (Lambert Conformal Conic)
> zone:       0
> datum:      nad83
> ellipsoid:  grs80
> north:      1683494.51666667
> south:      4017.2
> west:       222006.05
> east:       2367279.85
> nsres:      1.00000019
> ewres:      0.99999991
> rows:       1679477
> cols:       2145274
> cells:      3602938341698
>
>   The rows, cols, and cells seem extra large. This is
> a vector map so it probably doesn't matter,

right. (but sometimes the display or other code gets upset)

> but I'll be re-importing the DEM where it will matter.
> Should I also clean up the resolution so both
> values are exactly 1.0?

I would if for no other reason than aesthetics, but probably
to 1000.0 not 1.0.

use  'g.region res=  -a'

Hamish