[GRASS-user] v.patch: Correct Syntax?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 30 21:15:41 EST 2009

Rich wrote:
>  I'll try again, both creating the new region as a line rather
> than an area and explicitly setting the operator=and.

In this case the box created by v.in.region should be an area.

Here is an example using the Spearfish sample dataset:

#set to the default region
g.region -dp

# shrink the region in by 6km on all sides
g.region w=w+6000 e=e-6000 n=n-6000 s=s+6000 -p

#make an area box covering the current region
v.in.region zoom_box

# preform the overlay operation
v.overlay ain=soils bin=zoom_box op=and out=soils_zoom_box

Only thing I'd add to that is to make sure that your vector areas have
category numbers.

Hamish