[GRASS-user] problem setting region in 6.4 rc3

Nick Cahill ndcahill at wisc.edu
Mon Feb 2 00:02:05 EST 2009

Hello,

I'm using William Kyngesburye's OSX binaries of Grass 6.4 rc3, and
find it doesn't work with my existing mapsets. On displaying a vector
map, it gives an error "Error setting region: child process exited
abnormally." If I set or display the region with g.region or g.region -
p, I get the error "region for current mapset <projection field
missing> xx run "g.region" The mapset is UTM zone 35, and works fine
in 6.3. I installed the newest GDAL framework (1.6.0-5). I had thought
the projection information was in one or more of the files in the
mapset PROJ_INFO, etc., which are (for one typical mapset):

DEFAULT_WIND:

proj:       1
zone:       35
north:      1
south:      0
east:       1
west:       0
cols:       1
rows:       1
e-w resol:  1
n-s resol:  1
top:        1
bottom:     0
cols3:      1
rows3:      1
depths:     1
e-w resol3: 1
n-s resol3: 1
t-b resol:  1

PROJ_INFO:

name: UTM
datum: wgs84
towgs84: 0.000,0.000,0.000
proj: utm
ellps: wgs84
a: 6378137.0000000000
es: 0.0066943800
f: 298.2572235630
zone: 35

PROJ_UNITS
unit: meter
units: meters
meters: 1.0

WIND
proj:       1
zone:       35
north:      44865376.2790889
south:      4026393.07584904
east:       12546112.5351774
west:       -1477754.5340503
cols:       184585
rows:       442103
e-w resol:  75.97511753
n-s resol:  92.37436345
top:        1759.33
bottom:     0
cols3:      184585
rows3:      442103
depths:     1759
e-w resol3: 75.97511753
n-s resol3: 92.37436345
t-b resol:  1.00018487'

I'm not sure why the default window sets it to one row and one column,
but it works OK in 6.3. Any idea what's wrong here?

Many thanks,

Nick Cahill