[GRASS-user] Creating turbidity raster file

José Antonio Ruiz Arias jararias at ujaen.es
Mon Feb 9 18:34:30 EST 2009

> buraq wrote:
>> I have formatted csv files for every month which is like
>> latitude;longitude;turbidityValue. So I want to create
>> raster files from these csvs for using in r.sun.
>
> v.in.ascii -> convert .csv to a vector points file
> g.region  # set up raster grid
> v.surf.rast -> interpolate vector points to raster surface
>

> I have worried about r.sun's Linke Turbidity factor values in areas with
> big changes in elevation. Is turbidity value heavily dependent on
> altitude?

Linke turbidity is certainly height-dependent given the higher optical
path length at lower elevations. A simple approximated pressure correction
might be applied if the turbidity at a given altitude z' is known:

TL(z)=TL(z')exp(-(z-z')/8435.2)

with z and z' given in meters. This could be easily applied using r.mapcalc

Jose