[GRASS-user] Creating turbidity raster file

Dylan Beaudette debeaudette at ucdavis.edu
Mon Feb 9 18:55:37 EST 2009

On Monday 09 February 2009, Hamish wrote:
> buraq wrote:
> > I have formatted csv files for every month which is like
> > latitude;longitude;turbidityValue. So I want to create
> > raster files from these csvs for using in r.sun.
>
> v.in.ascii -> convert .csv to a vector points file
> g.region  # set up raster grid
> v.surf.rast -> interpolate vector points to raster surface

Minor correction:

v.surf.rast ---> v.surf.rst

> I have worried about r.sun's Linke Turbidity factor values in areas with
> big changes in elevation. Is turbidity value heavily dependent on altitude?

It should, as it is based on a measure of optical thickness (air mass):

-------- Extracted from a document ------
m = \frac{1}{sin(\alpha) + 0.15(\alpha + 3.885)^{-1.253}} e^{-0.0001184 \times
A}

\noindent
where $\alpha$ is the solar elevation angle at (12:00 pm local time) on each
day of the year, and $A$ is the weather station elevation in meters above
mean sea level (MSL).
-------- Extracted from a document ------

This stuff is also on pages 40-41 of this document:
http://169.237.35.250/~dylan/d_e_beaudette-ms_thesis.pdf

Cheers,

Dylan

--